If you are allowed out you will have noticed homemade rainbows painted or stuck inside people’s front windows. Kids and adults alike have been making them to share brightness and cheer. The idea being that those walking by can spot them on route giving a feeling of solidarity during this difficult time.
This little project will help you make a number of rainbows in one go. You can then send to friends and family in isolation and to brighten your own window.
What you’ll need:
- Wax or pastel crayons.
- Pen or pencil.
- Six or seven sheets of plain paper the same size.
- Textured surfaces- we used some texture wallpaper from pattern books. But you could use your wood floor, flag stones, patio, bark, bubble wrap, sandpaper…etc
What you do:
- First we chose crayons in the colours we wanted for our rainbow – we chose 7. In this case make sure you have at least 8 sheets of paper, more if you want more rainbows.
- Putting the plain paper over the texture surface rub the crayon over, colouring the whole sheet and capturing the pattern beneath.
- Repeat this for all your rainbow colours. Mix and match the textures if you like.
- When you have all your colours done stack them up and turn them over.
- On the back of the top one, draw your rainbow stripes with a pen or pencil.
- Then, holding them all together cut along all the lines. It doesn’t matter if this comes out wobbly- that will make it more interesting!
- Once cut out you’ll have a whole load of different sized rainbow stripes in all the different colours.
- Now glue them onto your spare plain piece of paper. Start with one of the biggest stripes and work your way down, fitting them together the best you can.
- All done? Wait for the glue to dry and cut the whole thing out and sellotape it up into your front window.
- Make more for your friends and family. Stick them in the post for grandparents or pop them through the doors of your neighbours with a cheery message to give them a smile.
- Now kids- go have an ice lolly or something and GO AWAY!! Parents- you’ve done your home schooling for today- pour yourself and G and T and have a lie down!